Wednesday, February 18, 2009

After the storm/surgery

My surgery went as well as anyone could have hoped. I'm still a few days post-op, but feeling better, although in a lot of pain. Now I have to long journey to recovery. When my adrenal glad was removed, my cortisol levels dropped, leaving me with Addison's disease (essentially the opposite of Cushing's Syndrome). My endocrinologist hopes this will be temporary, but it's hard to say how long it will take for my other adrenal gland to start working again. You see, it's been dormant for many months, perhaps years, while the other uber-adrenal over produced.

I'll be at home for at least a month recovering. If all goes well, I hope to be back to work (and a somewhat normal life) by early spring. After that, I can begin to think about so many things that have been put on hold (like my work in Mexico).

Right now I'm just thankful to be alive and recovering.

No comments: